Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tuesday Talk: And The Winners Are...

1605201217334578The Newbery Medal Winner is: Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo.  It is her second win (Tale of Despereaux won and Because of Winn-Dixie won an Honor).  I haven't read this book, nor have I decided if I will.  Over all, I have been underwhelmed by her books (except Winn-Dixie which I loved).  This year's Honor books are:
Doll Bones by Holly Black
The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes (his 2nd Honor; also won the Caldecott once and has 1 Caldecott Honor)
One Came Home by Amy Timberlake
Paperboy by Vince Vawter

The Caldecott Medal Winner is: Locomotive by Brian Floca.  I have not read this one either, but I plan to read it tonight.  I like the look of the cover, so I don't anticipate being disappointed by the illustrations inside.  As far as I have gathered, this is the first time Brian Floca has been recognized by the Caldecott committee.    All of this year's Honor books are nearly wordless (Mr. Wuffles has a few words).  They are truly honored for their ability to tell a story through illustration.  The Honors are:
Journey by Aaron Becker
Flora and the Flamingo Molly Idle
Mr. Wuffles by David Wiesner (his 3rd Honor; also won the Medal 3 times)

*For a complete list of this year's youth media award winners check out this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment