Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday Talk: Stephanie Perkins

99617966936382With Valentine's Day fast approaching, I figured I would talk about some of my favorite love stories.  Today I want to feature teen author Stephanie Perkins.  She has two books out, the third releasing this summer.  The title of her first book, Anna and the French Kiss, put me off for awhile.  I thought it would be smutty, which is not my preference.  When I finally read the description/synopsis, I realized it took place at a French boarding school and that is where the title comes from (that and the love interest is a French boy).  I really liked the characters.  They were well rounded and flawed.  Anna and Étienne start out as friends, growing closer as life events bond them together.  Of course, she has feelings for him through most of the book, but he has a girlfriend already.  It is a cute love story.  I love books like this, where the romance builds slowly and culminates in a kiss.  Her second book, Lola and the Boy Next Door, takes place in California.  Lola is an eccentric girl who loves to dress up (not formal, but costume like).  Cricket is the boy next door who broke her heart when they were kids.  Now he is back in town and the two realize there is something unfinished between them.  It is another cute love story.  Lola is a very fun character, with all her eccentricities.  Cricket is a bit more of a mystery, but totally adorable and extremely likable.  Plus, a bonus for fans of the first book, Anna and Étienne are minor characters.  They have moved to California for college.  I find her books utterly enjoyable.  I am excited for the third book in the series, Isla and the Happily Ever After, which comes out in August.  Fans of Sarah Dessen will enjoy her books.  If this is your kind of book, give this series a try.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment