Friday, August 8, 2014

Book Lover's Day


Tomorrow, August 9th, is Book Lovers Day.  It is meant to be celebrated by settling down with a good book and enjoying the simple act of reading.  It is the perfect day to share books with friends and family.  I'm going to take this opportunity to share some of my all time favorite books with you.

Let's start with kids books.  Where the Sidewalk Ends is my kind of poetry through and through.  It's simple, humorous and is easy to read.  Shel Silverstein is just brilliant.  The Secret Garden is a children's classic that everyone should read, especially girls.  I have read it probably six times and loved it every time.  Matilda is another book I have enjoyed over and over.  What a wonderful little girl she is.  Roald Dahl's dark and twisted humor always entertains.  Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH is such a fun and fantastic adventure.  I can't wait to read it with my daughter.  I'll wrap up this portion with two series I adore.  First, Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a perfect blend of action, adventure, mythology and friendship.  It is very entertaining and should not be missed.  Finally, Harry Potter.  It is a series that forever changed the book industry and has turned millions of people into readers.

The next group of books I want to discuss are in the Young Adult genre (arguably my favorite genre).  I guess I am one of those stunted adults that just can't get enough of it.  I've selected just two to talk about.  The Book Thief is a beautifully written, life changing story about the love of books and the power they have to transform lives.  It truly is a magnificent story that everyone should read.  The Truth About Forever is my guilty pleasure teen book of choice.  It is filled with wonderful characters.  It is about friendship, learning to live again after tragedy and finding love when you least expect it.  I just love that book.

On to adult books.  My favorite is The Power of One.  It is just such an awesome and inspiring story about overcoming limitations.  It exemplifies how one person truly can make a difference and perhaps even change the world.  To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books that touches your heart and changes your life.  It captures childhood and the human experience better than most books can ever hope to.  These is my Words introduces a character like no other.  She is not soon forgotten.  Sarah will get under your skin and leave you wanting more.  Gone With the Wind is a love story for the times.  I fell in love with Rhett Butler and wanted to strangle Scarlett O'hara for not seeing how great he is until it is too late.  Another great love story, retold more than any other one (perhaps besides Romeo and Juliet) is Pride and Prejudice.  It may be cliche, but I still love it.  Mr. Darcy is wonderful.  Last but not least, Atlas Shrugged.  Ayn Rand is one of my very favorite authors.  Her fiction is not for everyone, but I wish there was more of it.  I really enjoy books that make you think and expand your outlook, and her books truly do that.

I challenge everyone to take some time tomorrow to sit down and read, not because you have to, but because you want to.  Read alone or together as a family.  Just enjoy a good book because you can.  Take it one step further and share your favorite books with your friends and family.  Sharing books and the love of reading is one of the best gifts you can give others.  At least that is what I think.  Happy Book Lover's Day and Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment