Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Thursday Three: October is Mystery Month--Adults

It's Mystery Month!  I'm not usually drawn to the mystery genre, but I do read a lot of books that have aspects of mystery in them.  I think that every good book should have at least a little mystery to it.  Predictability is beyond boring, at least to me.  Even though these titles are not technically classified as mysteries, all of them will keep you guessing at some point or another.

1. Gone Girl
 This book has been very popular since its publication.  I read it just to see what all the fuss was about.  The characters are truly sick and twisted.  The marriage is beyond dysfunctional.  Definitely worth a read, but be warned the language is a little rough at times.

2. The Lake of Dead Languages
This is one of my all-time favorite books.  The main character learns that secrets never stay buried forever.  The past and present are expertly woven together.  You've got mythology, pagan rituals, youthful indiscretions and death.  I highly recommend giving this one a try.

3. The Book of Secrets
 This book has some messed up characters as well.  My morbid fascination for the twisted and perverse was definitely satisfied with the dysfunction in this new book.  The Sinclair family got under my skin, and I didn't want to put it down. 

I hope at least one of these titles catches your interest.  Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. First commenter on your first post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved "Gone Girl!!! What a bunch crazies that bunch was. I haven't read the other two suggestions, but I plan to as soon as I am finished with the "Sin Eater". Have you teaf that? I am finding that it's hard to get into in the beginning. I hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one. Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete