Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tuesday Talk: Elephant & Piggie series

I'm a Frog! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)

The Elephant & Piggie series by Mo Willems is one of my very favorite picture book series.  They are simple stories and even simpler illustrations, but they are hilarious.  They follow two best friends, Piggie (girl pig) and Gerald (boy elephant), through various adventures and misunderstandings.  Piggie is brave and outgoing, maybe a little hyperactive.  Gerald is timid and reserved, maybe a little stuffy.  Each story has a little twist at the end that has me laughing every time.  When I read them I give Piggie a high-pitched squeaky voice and Gerald an uptight British accent.  That is how I see the characters, and my daughter loves the accents.  I'm a Frog! is the most recent installment (there are 20 so far).  Mo Willems puts a new one out every couple months.  They are simply fantastic.  A handful of them are even award winners.  If you are looking for a good laugh, check out this series.  They are excellent for beginning readers to read by themselves, or for entire families to laugh together.  Great read-aloud titles.  The illustrations (facial expressions especially) tell half the story.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment