Friday, August 29, 2014

I Survived

20578944This is a series I have been curious about for awhile now.  I've had lots of kids come into my store asking for these books.  Pompeii is the newest installment.  I believe it just came out this week.  They don't have to be read in order (this is book #10) because each title takes place in a different historical period with different characters.  I rather enjoyed this book.  I think this series would be great for reluctant readers.  They are short, barely over 100 pages, and include a lot of history.  This is the only one I have read, so I can't speak for the others, but it was fast-paced and to the point.  It briefly covered the few days leading up the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius and then the actual eruption and attempted evacuation.  There are illustrations to help break up the words, for those who need that.  This series is probably about a fourth grade reading level, maybe even late third grade.  It is scholastic, so the actually reading level should be on the back of the book.  I read a digital copy, so the information wasn't included.  Like I said, the book was a lot of fun and inspired me to do a little further research on the event.  That is exactly what the author hopes for.  Kids who are at all interested in historical events, or enjoy some good danger and action, this series would be perfect.  They all cover events that are known for the death and destruction factor, but focus on surviving that event.  I can say that I do in fact recommend this series.  Give it a try.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment