Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday Talk: Hawksong


30334
Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is one of my very favorite teen books.  I have read it at least six times and love it every time.  It is not very long, which I why I have reread it so many times.  However, it is not lacking for its length.  I think it is very well written and keeps you on the edge of your seat, so to speak.  Danica Shardae is heir to the avian throne.  Her people have been at war with the serpiente for generations.  Zane Cobriana is heir to the serpiente throne and has seen enough of his family die.  He is willing to do anything to stop the war.  When he proposes a union between the two, Danica is equally desperate to find peace.  The only problem is she doesn't know if she can trust Zane.  He is very much like his second form, that of a cobra.  He could strike at anytime.  The story is told from Danica's point of view.  Throughout the entire story you are right there with her, always wondering if Zane can be trusted, if he will lose his infamous temper and strike or if he is sincere and perhaps falling in love with her.  The entire story is steeped with danger at every turn.  The peace between the two kingdoms is always hanging on a thread.  Neither side ready to believe or accept it.  Plus, there are those that are plotting against them and not everyone will survive.  This book is just so great.  Even though I know how it will end, I always get caught up in the suspense.  Maybe I am just silly, but I think it is fabulous.  In fact, I think I will reread it this week.  I think everyone should read it.  Be warned, it is the first book in a series, but the rest of the series is not nearly as good.  By book three, it has jumped into the future and has a whole new set of main characters.  Book two is told from Zane's point of view, but he is not nearly as interesting when you actually know what he's thinking and what he will do.  The mysterious element is gone and that is at least half of his appeal, to me anyway.  The series is still good, but only this first book is great.  In fact, there is one book I didn't like at all.  Just remember, it is Hawksong that I am recommending, not the Keisha'ra series.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment