Monday, May 26, 2014

Under the Weather

63534181121644662573

Perhaps you can see a theme here.  If you are familiar with these titles, then you can guess how my holiday weekend went.  It started with my daughter getting the sniffles.  Her pink nose and cough is starting to get better, but as these wonderful stories go, I now am getting sick.  I thought this was the perfect time to discuss my favorite picture books on this common family theme.  Let's start with Pigs Make Me Sneeze.  The sad sap Elephant thinks he is allergic to his best friend Piggie.  Of course it is just that he is coming down with a cold.  By the end of the book he is overjoyed to learn he is not, in fact, allergic to Piggie.  She, on the other hand, is less than thrilled to have caught the bug from Elephant.  Next, in The Sniffles for Bear , you have grumpy old Bear who has come down with a cold.  Being the drama queen that he is, Bear is sure he is dying.  His ever optimist pal Mouse swoops in to try to bolster him up, all while nursing him back to health.  By the end of the book the tables have turned.  Bear must rally in order to take care of poor, sick Mouse.  Finally, in Bear Feels Sick, Bear's forest friends band together to try to nurse him back to health.  Each animal in turn catches the cold and must be nursed by Bear in the end.  Now that I am beginning to feel miserable, I decided to turn to some of my favorite under the weather picture books.  I can only hope that I will be as lucky as the friends in these books and be nursed back to health by my daughter.  I'm not counting on it!  Sickness is a common theme in childhood.  I highly recommend all these books as part of the nursing process.  I know that being read to always makes my daughter feel better, and these titles help her commiserate in her time of woe.  Next time you have a sick kid, or are sick yourself, give one of these fantastic books a try.  Perhaps it will bolster your spirits.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment